Wellness Services in Georgia
‘Wellness’ is a word we hear often these days, used to describe everything from yoga classes to supplements. In general, wellness is considered to be an ongoing process in which a person is conscious of and strives to make good choices for the purpose of a successful or healthy existence. In terms of physical and mental health, this usually means trying to make the best choices for your body and mind, but many people struggle with how to do so.
How Do You Achieve Wellness?
Many people ask this question as conflicting health news emerges every day. Is that food good or bad for you this week? Are you doing the right kind of exercise? How healthy are the products you use in your home? Is there a natural way to treat your nagging back pain?
Some people consult their doctors but may receive more confusing information. Primary care physicians are helpful for many typical healthcare needs, but often they are trained to treat existing problems more than prevent new ones. They are also very busy, rushing from one sick patient to the next, and may not be able to give you their attention for more time than it takes to do a brief exam and write you a prescription. As a result, sometimes patients struggle with situations like these:
- Your doctor suggests that you lose some weight by exercising and eating a healthy diet. You tell the doctor that you exercise regularly and eat healthily but haven’t lost any weight. The doctor tells you to eat less fast food, ignoring what you just said about your diet. When you ask for specific diet advice, the doctor suggests you see a nutritionist or go to a local weight-loss support group.
- You tell your doctor that you are tired all the time despite getting eight hours of sleep each night. The doctor runs some tests, says you’re fine and suggests that you “avoid stress.” You leave still feeling tired…and now stressed.
- You have recurrent pain in your back or other joints. The doctor says this is a normal part of the aging process, isn’t serious, and can be treated with over-the-counter medication. These remedies barely make a dent in your pain, but the doctor cautions you that stronger, prescription painkillers could be addictive. You don’t want these either, but you wish there were a safe solution for your pain.
Defining Wellness for an Individual
Each person has individual needs and health concerns that may interact with many lifestyle factors. Difficulties with hormones, food sensitivities, digestive tract issues, sleep, and relaxation can all affect our health. Because we are all unique, what may be a healthy diet or exercise program for one person could be problematic for another due to genetics, lifestyle, and existing health challenges.
Unfortunately, people researching wellness often find a high number of “one size fits all” approaches – a new fad diet, an exercise program that promises to get you in shape with a few simple workouts, a meal planning service, a supplement company, etc. Many people try these approaches with little or no success because they aren’t right for everyone.
Treating the Individual at Optimum Health Rehab
At Optimum Health Rehab, our wellness specialists take the time to get to know you. We collect a detailed history, inquiring about health conditions, lifestyle factors, your current challenges, and your wellness goals. We encourage you to be as candid as possible during this process, as your visit is private and protected by HIPAA law. Our wellness specialists aren’t here to judge you – we simply want to meet you where you’re at and find a way of reaching the goals that work for you.
To this end, our specialists will perform tests as needed. Some of our diagnostic and wellness services include:
- Food sensitivity (IgG) panels, including gluten sensitivity
- Adrenal stress (ASI) panels
- Thyroid imbalance testing
- Gut health testing (gut parasitology)
- Hormone balance (male/female) testing
- Lifestyle modification and coaching: diet, exercise, stress, and more
- Determining the root cause of disease and illnesses: ID, treat, and rebalance
Gain a New Perspective by Managing Your Overall Health and Wellness
We help patients with a wide variety of health challenges, including difficulty sleeping, weight gain, fatigue, digestive problems, back or joint pain, muscle aches, and more. If you’re dealing with one of these problems, a Georgia wellness specialist may be able to diagnose and treat your problem. We won’t brush off your concerns or give you vague or unhelpful answers. Instead, we’ll work to identify any and all obstacles to success in your wellness goals and assist you in working through them and finding solutions.
Some of our wellness services include:
- Recovery from injuries after auto accidents
- Chiropractic care
- Weight loss
- Fibromyalgia treatment
- Rehabilitation for physical recovery
- Regenerative medicine
- Fatigue and stress
- Detoxification and lean body program
- Digestive health
- Food sensitivity test
- Gluten sensitivity test
- Hormonal imbalances
- Thyroid panel
- Physical medicine
- Massage therapy
- Nutrition therapy
Wellness Begins with Finding the Root Cause
Unlike some healthcare providers, we don’t want to write a quick prescription and call it good. We will schedule regular appointments to follow your progress and help you stay on track. Additionally, we’ll have an initial discussion about the efforts you’ve already made to reach your goals, such as losing weight or reducing stress, and why these efforts did or didn’t work.
As you begin treatment, we will check back with you, and if things aren’t going the way you’d hoped, we’ll try to figure out why. For example, sometimes people trying to lose weight are deficient in specific nutrients, and this can slow their progress. Other patients may benefit from herbal supplements, lipotropic injections, or weekly coaching.
Whether a patient comes to us for digestive issues, sleep difficulties, anxiety, concerns about hormones, or any other problems, we work to learn about them and their lives so we can better serve them. Patients are often surprised at the connections we can identify between their symptoms and the causes of their challenges.
Examples of Wellness Services That May Help You
Here are a few of the services we use frequently to help our patients achieve optimal health:
Stress and Fatigue Evaluation
This is an incredibly common problem. The American Psychological Association’s 2022 Stress in America survey found that more than a quarter of Americans (27 percent) report being so stressed they can barely function. At the same time, 76 percent said they experienced at least one symptom they could attribute to stress, most commonly headaches (38 percent), fatigue (35 percent), feeling anxious (34 percent), and feeling depressed or sad (33 percent).
What’s causing all this stress? For some people, the answer is work, personal relationships, or family responsibilities. Others may have concerns about the economy and other societal issues. It’s possible that all of these things are causing you stress.
There are many ways we can help you relax and deal with these types of stress in a positive way, such as massage therapy or supplements to promote relaxation. However, stress can also have physical causes, so we will investigate these as well. We’ll test your levels of cortisol, your body’s main stress hormone, as well as insulin, DHEA, and other stress-related hormones in your body. If your cortisol levels are too high, it could be keeping you in constant “fight or flight” mode, which can be both exhausting and anxiety-inducing at the same time. If this is the case, we’ll prescribe a nutrition and supplement plan to help balance cortisol and other hormones that have gotten off-target.
Losing weight can be a frustrating experience for many people. We often meet with patients who tell us they tried a diet that didn’t work for them, even though it had helped a friend lose weight. Others may spend a small fortune on different supplements, programs, and products aimed at helping those who want to lose weight, only to find that these don’t work either.
There are many factors that affect our ability to lose weight, including food sensitivities, hormones, genetics, and physical activity. If a particular diet helped someone you know to lose weight, but it didn’t work or was unsustainable for you, then it probably wasn’t the right diet for your needs. At Optimum Health Rehab, we work to identify your weight loss challenges and put together a plan to help you work through them. These steps may include:
- Food sensitivity testing to ensure we recommend a diet that’s healthy for you
- Hormone and thyroid testing to ensure that are no imbalances that could stop you from losing weight
- Informed dietary advice
- Exercise recommendations based on your current activity level and any health challenges
- Therapies to address any pain or other physical symptoms that make it harder for you to exercise, such as knee pain or back pain
- Injections of B12 or other natural compounds that may help you lose weight, particularly if you are currently deficient
- Pharmaceutical-grade nutritional supplements you can take in pill or powder form
- Monitoring and coaching to help you stay on track and work through any obstacles
Throughout the process, we will monitor how you’re doing, and we may alter your treatment plan as needed. Our goal is to continue working with you rather than handing you a diet plan and moving on to the next patient. We will provide all the assistance you need until you’ve reached your goal, then we’ll go on to support you in maintaining your weight loss.
Food Sensitivity and Digestive Health
Whether or not you struggle with your weight, you could have food sensitivities that cause a range of symptoms, including gastrointestinal issues. Frequently people come in with chronic digestive issues that their doctor diagnosed as “nerves” or “indigestion.” In reality, many digestive problems are caused by allergies or sensitivities, but it can be hard for the patient to determine what’s causing the problem on their own.
That’s where we come in. We can help diagnose digestive and food issues using the following diagnostic tools:
- Gut health or microbiota testing
- Testing for parasites
- Identifying microbes that could cause inflammation, such as lactoferrin
- Elimination or rotation diets
- Food sensitivity tests
Sleep is a vital part of wellness, allowing your body to recharge and repair itself while you rest. Yet many people struggle to get enough sleep, and the CDC reports that around 70 million Americans have chronic difficulties with sleeping. Adults ages 18-64 should be getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night, while people over 65 need 7-8 hours. However, a little more than 35 percent of US adults admit they sleep less than seven hours a night.
What can you do if you’re not sleeping well? Many patients try over-the-counter sleep aids, but these may leave you groggy the following day, or they may not work well. At Optimum Health Rehab, we work to find the root cause of insomnia using the following diagnostic tools and treatments:
- Hormone testing
- Diagnosis and treatment of back or joint pain that may keep you up at night
- Nutritional supplementation to help with relaxation and winding down at night
- Massage therapy
We’ll make recommendations based on your results and add therapies as your sleep patterns progress. Improving your sleep is a cornerstone of maintaining health and wellness, and we’ll work to ensure you have the tools you need to get a good night’s rest.
Visit One of Our Georgia Wellness Clinics
The doctors and wellness specialists at our offices in Georgia are committed to helping you improve your health and live a more comfortable, productive life. Schedule a consultation at one of our local offices to get started:
Let Us Help You Achieve Your Wellness Goals
It’s easy to get disheartened by health problems and the discomfort they bring. The team at Optimum Health Rehab wants you to know that wellness is attainable, and we’re here to help. Call us at 877-704-1761 or fill out the form on our website to get started on your wellness journey.